Part 1. How’d ya like to trade in that old PBX for a shiny new OCS environment?

My schedule has been very full this week with bouncing between a few different clients on OCS, VM Ware, HP Lefthand, Cisco projects, and some remodelling at home.   With everything going on I’ve not been able to complete all the documentation and writing for my next post.  However, I wanted to start getting the info out there, so I’ve decided I’m going to cover my next topic over a couple of posts.  Here’s installment 1 in a series about not just implementing OCS, but sitting it side by side with a non-supported, non-IP PBX, for a client who is ready to make the switch but has to ease their user base into it.

As of late I’ve been working on implementing OCS 2007 R2 as a stand-alone phone/conferencing/IM/Kitchen Sink solution, while sitting next to an InterTel Axxess PBX.   We’ve been utilizing an Audio Codes Mediant 1000  to connect OCS to the PSTN and to the legacy PBX.  The co-existance has been rather easy to manage at this point, we’ve been utilizing the Audio Codes to handle all the routing between the systems as well as manipulation to and from the PSTN.  Currently the PBX still holds about half of the users, as well as faxing and paging, but with the next wave of user moves OCS will be doing the bulk of the work.

We will have OCS>PSTN calling, PSTN>OCS calling, faxing to email, overhead paging, Response Groups, Outlook Voice Access, Audio Conference Bridge, Live Meeting, Vidoe Conferencing and good old IM all housed in OCS within the next 2 weeks.

Stay tuned for more information on this solution (the same solution I implemented for my company PCMS IT Advisor Group) as well as some thoughts on how others can do the same to help retire their legacy PBX systems and take advantage of all of the great new technology in OCS 2007 R2.

Advertisements

About Kevin Peters

My name is Kevin Peters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Part 1. How’d ya like to trade in that old PBX for a shiny new OCS environment?

1. Trevor Miller says:

Kevin,

I notcied you said you were working on integrating an Inter-tel Axxess PBX with OCS – a situation that my company is looking at right now. If there is any chance I could speak with you to see what kind of issues and configuration you have had to accomplish for this, I’d greatly appreciate it. Please let me know – thanks!

Trevor Miller
    Network Analyst
    RLI

• Any updates on paging over the phones? I heard that SNOM has something that works with Lync and OCS?

• Kevin Peters says:

Hi Alex,

There isn’t a solution that pages over the phones that I am aware of. However, overhead paging can be accomplished using a SNOM PA1. The PA1 can send a signal out to a paging amp or power a number of small speakers.

Hope this helps!

-kp

2. Brent says:

Hi Kevin,

Are you able to accomplish overhead paging in with OCS R2?

Thanks!

Brent

• Kevin Peters says:

Brent,

We have used a combination of different gateways with FXS port to allow connectivity to an analog paging system. At the moment there aren’t any OCS compatible VoIP/SIP system (at least that I am aware of), but I’ve heard there may be some soon. If I hear otherwise I’ll update only.

Thanks for reading!

Kevin

3. Daniel says:

Kevin,

could you elaborate on what you have done for overhead paging (what gateways, etc.)

• Kevin Peters says:

Daniel,

In installs with a VoIP Gateway I have typically taken an analog port (FXS) and connected it to the paging system. Then I’ve assigned an extension to the port (in the gateway) and given the extension out to users. Since OCS is going to be configured to send calls to the gateway for anything it doesn’t have locally it will automatically route that call to the gateway and the gateway will send it over the to the over head paging system. This allows OCS via the gateway to work with any standard analog paging system. Typically the gateways have been NET or AudioCodes and the paging systems have been just about every brand that accepts an analog connection. I’ve not made this work with a VoIP based paging system as of yet because I haven’t had a customer with one.

Hope this helps!

-kp

4. gopubisht says:

hi,

good post. I like your post.